From: Ola Lundqvist (opal_at_debian.org)
Date: Wed 09 Jul 2003 - 10:41:14 BST

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:13:23PM +0200, Christian Mayrhuber wrote:
*SNIP*
> Vserver is relatively new on Debian and is not part of the stable distribution. It is only in testing and
> unstable for now. Those packages moved the /vservers directory to /var/lib/vservers in order to comply
> with the debian standards. You should be able to recompile the vserver .deb for stable by yourself.

If you want precompiled you can find them on http://debian.opal.dhs.org/.
I usually place the backported version there when I upload a new version to
unstable.

The move from /vservers to /var/lib/vservers was to comply with LSB which RedHat
and others wants to comply to as well. The neat thing is that you can configure
the location in /etc/vserver.conf.

> Since the vserver-0.22, everything seems to work fine. Earlier releases of vserver had some problems
> with Debian. You will need to build your own vserver kernel, or use the precompiled one from solucorp.
> Running vserver on debian is as stable as it is on any other distribution. It is very comfortable to build
> a new vserver with the newvserver-debian script from Paul Sladen and Mark Lawrence. You will have
> to edit it to suit your needs.

There is actually a script inside the package nowdays.

Regards,

// Ola

> If you want to install a system to let it run once it's installed, good security updates without much effort and
> you do not need the latest software releases, then Debian's stable distribution is for you.
>
> I personally don't know Gentoo, or the latest RedHat/SuSE, I've never felt the need to try them after the
> switch to Debian 1.5 years ago.
> --
> lg, Chris

/  opal_at_debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal_at_lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |