From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Mon 09 Jun 2003 - 16:21:02 BST

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:36, Joseph S Chung wrote:
> Thanks Matthieu, the result shows the card is "Intel 82557/8/9 Ethernet
> Pro 100".
> How can I make eth0 work?
> Thanks.

IIRC that is a fairly recent eepro100 chipset - you will probably need
a 2.4.20 kernel or newer.

In the vserver FTP site (http://ftp.solucorp.qc.ca/pub/vserver) there
are several pre-generated .config files. I would suggest using one of
those as a base, if you can't find the one that Red Hat used to
compile the kernel on your system. This may be preferable to
downloading the binary kernel images from the same place.

Assuming that you've compiled the eepro100 driver as a module, running
"modprobe eepro100" should load the driver for it. You should then be
able to see an unconfigured interface with `ifconfig -a'. If you got
any error messages, they will be in `dmesg'.

The rest is a matter of configuring the modules.conf (add this line:
  alias eth0 eepro100
) and the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth0 (? I think ;)) to
contain the appropriate network configuration.

--
Sam Vilain, sam_at_vilain.net

If youve seen one redwood, youve seen them all. RONALD REAGAN