From: Lyn St George (lyn_at_zolotek.net)
Date: Tue 29 Apr 2003 - 00:57:55 BST

Hi all

I need to build a new 'ref' server to replace the old one (so
as to use glib 2.2.x instead of 2.1.x) and have run into an
unexpected problem.

The new 'ref' server is built from RH7.3 the same way as the
old one was built from RH6.2, ie, everything from: /bin, /sbin,
/lib, /usr, /var was copied into 'ref1', and config files from /etc
and others into 'ref2'. A new virtual server is then built from
/usr/sbin/vserver using hard links from ref1, and plain copies
from ref2. This has always worked well enough in the past.

The problem now is that a new vserver will not start. It seems to,
and gives the new IP, hostname and security context, then it
goes back to the prompt.

Does anyone know of any way to turn on some sort of debugging
for this? I can't find any logs anywhere for these events.

If I replace the 'ref2' stuff with config files from RH6.2 then it will start
but root has no privileges, and doing 'su unprivileged_user' brings
up a password request. I'm trying to go through the differences
between the rc.d/ stuff but I would really appreciate a bit of help here, if
at all possible.

Cheers

-
Cheers