From: Eje Gustafsson (macahan_at_fament.com)
Date: Sat 08 Mar 2003 - 19:14:27 GMT

Alright great. I will get on it and get it all up and running.

The box only crashed ones so far in the last 2 days sicne I got a
recompiled 2.4.20ctx-16 kernel with drivers for a different network
card and a different network card in the machine. When I used the
precompiled kernel that is downloadable from the vserver homepage and
this Dlink 530+ card when I start to put a load on the server it will
crash within 5-10hours with the ctx-15 patched kernel and with the
precompiled ctx-16 kernel I can be happy if I be up and running for
more then an hour. I forgot to setup grub to load ctx-15 by default
and I had just about time to logon and do a few checks before the
machine crashed last time I tried the precompiled ctx-16 kernel with
the Dlink card.
I'm fairly certain I will be able to very soon be able to controlled
be able to "crash" the machine (man don't that sound morbid to
knowingly crash a Linux box -lol-). Will get the ksymoops installed
and serial cable connected for dump capture.

Best regards,
 Eje Gustafsson mailto:MacAhan_at_fament.com
The Family Entertainment Network http://www.fament.com
Phone : 620-231-7777 Fax : 620-231-4066
     - Your Full Time Professionals -
eBay UserID : macahan

--
HP> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 06:22:15PM -0600, Eje Gustafsson wrote:
>> How can I help debug this ? The recompiled kernel with the different
>> NIC worked a whole lot better but it still went down one me today.

HP> If I read the mail thread right (the second time) HP> you witness about 6 crashes per day which would HP> give an average uptime of 3-6 hours ...

HP> If this is true, your machine would be the ideal HP> candidate to track down this bug ...

HP> 1) please make sure that ksymoops is installed HP> 2) attach a serial line to your machine and capture HP> the kernel oops and "decode" them with ksymoops HP> 3) please, please check the kernel patch sets HP> on my homepage (2.4.20 and 2.4.21 ..) HP> http://www.13thfloor.at/VServer/patches-2.4.20-ctx16/ HP> http://www.13thfloor.at/VServer/patches-2.4.21/

HP> try to do some network/cpu load monitoring via HP> network syslog or something similar ...

>> Anything I can install/do to make capture the crash info >> for review of a kernel hacker ?

HP> It would be great to attach a kernel debugger HP> via the serial line to do some in crash search ...

HP> best, HP> Herbert

HP> PS: if you have any questions, contact me ...

--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Generated on Sat 08 Mar 2003 - 19:40:44 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3