From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 30 Dec 2002 - 06:16:55 GMT

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 11:29:44PM -0500, Dinesh Mistry wrote:
> Ok so..
>
> I checked the reverse DNS on each of the vserver's and they have no problems
> performing reverse DNS, they respond back pretty quickly in fact.

although you could not verify ns (or similar)
timeouts I would check /etc/nsswitch.conf for
entries like ...

passwd: files nisplus nis
shadow: files nisplus nis
group: files nisplus nis
hosts: files nisplus nis dns

and remove any evidence of nisplus and nis
if you do not have/use it (which is very unlikely
inside a virtual server ;)

> Maybe it's a memory or file handles thing like you suggest I guess I have a
> 2 fold question, where would I look for such things and how. Linux pretty
> much uses all the memory you throw at it so top is not very helpful.

cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal: 904776 kB (* what you have - kernel *)
MemFree: 4340 kB (* what is unused *)
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 436644 kB (* page/filesystem caches as
Cached: 134904 kB well as inode/dentry and
SwapCached: 63852 kB swapped out pages *)
Active: 386504 kB (* active memory pages *)
Inactive: 293704 kB (* swapped out memory pages *)
SwapTotal: 2576312 kB (* swap space total *)
SwapFree: 2333236 kB (* swap space available *)

or use 'free' for a quick overview ...

> Secondly is there some sort of 'rule of thumb' to figure out how many VPS's
> you can run on a specific type of server CPU/MEM type calculation?

a 2CPU SMP machine can take 2-4 times more vservers
than a single CPU machine before it becomes unresponsive

about 25-30 average to low load vservers (~ 1000 processes)
almost fill up 512MB ram ...