From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 20 Dec 2002 - 15:23:29 GMT

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 08:37:11PM +0800, Wray Cason wrote:
> > just curious, what is that "must have" app?
>
> Simply Accounting 9.0. I long for a good accounting package for linux. I
> wasn't impressed with MyBooks and Intuit will never get my money. The only
> one that I have seen that I like is Simply Accounting and of course, it is
> only for winblows.
>
> > XFree should not be required to run Xvnc ...
>
> Indeed. the RedHat twm package "depends" on the XFree86 package so I just
> went with it.
>
> > this does not provide enough information to draw
> > elaborated conclusions, but my guess would be that
> > xterm tries to grab a pty, which is not available ...
>
> That is the case as near as I can tell. It seems that xterm relies on
> /dev/ttyp* instead of /dev/pts/*. I appears to me that the /dev/ttyp*
> convention is old and not supported by the ctx kernel. I am thinking that
> perhaps I could manually create /dev/ttyp0 to satisfy xterm. Does someone
> know how I could accomplish this?

man mknod
although I doubt that you will be able to create the
correct entries, because this is a dynamic allocation

> Also, you appear to be running VNC just
> fine in your vserver. If you are running xterm as per the default vnc
> configuration, would you please tell me whether or not you have any /dev/ttyp*
> files? I bet you do.

.. and you lost your bet *G*
I use a Mandrake based host/vserver and Mandrake works
reasonable well with devfs which uses the new scheme
as well as the /dev/pts ...

> Wray Cason "Wrayman"
> Auxilium Computing
> www.auxiliumcomputing.com
> wrayman_at_auxiliumcomputing.com
> main: 206-595-2080
> fax: 425-895-9825

Generated on Fri 20 Dec 2002 - 15:50:30 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3