From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 13 Dec 2002 - 12:07:44 GMT

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:41:40AM +0100, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:52:59 +0100
> Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at> wrote:
>
> > > But now I have a problem to run an nfs server in the virtual server
> > > because rpc.nfsd refuses to start. The Log files say:
> > > nfssvc: Function not implemented.
> > >
> > > How can I solve that problem? Portmap, status and mountd are
> > > working.
> >
> > you need an userspace nfs daemon, the kernel space
> > daemon is not available inside a virtual server ...
>
> There was a problem with the capabilities. To find out which
> capabilities are needed I first added all capabilities in the
> configuration file and then removed them one by one till rpc.nfsd did
> not start any more. So now all necessary programs for nfs are running.
>
> But still a client cannot mount an nfs directory from the server, the
> error is "Permission denied". My configuration file /etc/exports is
> correct and /var/lib/nfs/etab contains the correct directories after
> executing exportfs. Also I added again all capabilities to the
> configuration file of the virtual server.
>
> Do you think that the reason for that is that I'm using the kernel
> server or did you think that the kernel server was the cause for the
> non-starting rpc.nfsd?

I did not try to get kernel nfs up/running on a vserver,
I simply repeated what was posted on the mailing list ...

From: Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
To: vserver_at_solucorp.qc.ca
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:50:41 -0500

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:25:00 -0500, Samuel Cossette wrote
> hi,
>
> I'm trying to mount a nfs share on a non-vserver box TO a vserver on
> an another box. But it's do nothing and ?never? timeout.
>
> I don't run rpc.portmap on the box that host my vserver and the nfs
> filesystem support is build in the kernel.

the kernel NFS server do not work (yet) in a vserver. The only solution for now
is to use the userland NFS server. Conectiva (for one) distributes a rpm.

but you should take a closer look on the log files,
and if possible make a packet log with tcpdump, former
will show rpb.mountd/rpc.nfsd issues, latter will
show ip/network issues, which can easily arise on
vservers and network aliases ...

if you provide both loggings, I am sure I can at least
tell you what works and what not ...

> Christoph

Generated on Fri 13 Dec 2002 - 12:33:53 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3