From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 06 Dec 2002 - 13:04:50 GMT

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 12:35:40PM -0000, davidc wrote:
> I can't seem to get the vserver kernel to boot. I've unzipped the kernel to
> /boot/ and also copied the config-2.4.19 into that directory (the kernel the
> machine uses by default is a 2.4.18 one). I edited /etc/lilo.conf with
> exactly the information as shown in the helpfiles except "label" is set to
> "LinuxCTX" as lilo didn't like the long name as suggested.
>
> Upon rebooting and choosing LinuxCTX I get the error as shown at
> http://edeca.net/vserver/booterror.png

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8

means: the kernel tries to load an scsi module, probably
for your scsi hard disk, but fails to find one (most
likely because your initrd or kernel lacks this module)

VGS: Cannot open root device "801" or 08:01

is the result of the previous failure, because the kernel
tries to make /dev/sda1 or /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
the root device, which could not be accessed, because the
driver module is missing ...

possible solutions:

- compile your own kernel, selecting the apropriate modules
  and/or drivers to be included in the kernel

- build your own initrd (which must include the modules
  required for booting, like the scsi modules for scsi
  discs)

> Does anybody have any idea what I can do to fix this and get this kernel
> booting?

if you send me your system configuration (a) the lilo.conf
file and the config-2.4.19 of your kernel, I could give you
some further hints how to configure it ... but I would
suggest to compile your own kernel (the mailing list
archive at http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/
contains several links on how to compile the kernel)

> Cheers.

Generated on Fri 13 Dec 2002 - 03:49:14 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3