From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Sun 03 Nov 2002 - 23:41:39 GMT

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Jean-Philippe Toupin wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a newbie to vserver and I still wondering what is S_CAPS. I know it
> is used to limit some ressources but what can it limit ?

The Capabality to do certain things (like configure ethernet devices, make
device nods), many of which are disabled within a vserver because they
relate to hardware or kernel access and therefore would be unsafe to pass
onto the root user in a vserver.

> Can you limit the memory usage or cpu usage ?

Nope. Not at the moment.

You can set the `nice' value for the vserver compared to other vservers by
setting:

  S_NICE=""

and setting:

  S_FLAGS="... sched"

Open files and core-size can be limited with the `ULIMIT' line.
The User beancounter patch may be a possibility for some other stuff too:

  ftp://ftp.sw.com.sg/pub/Linux/people/saw/kernel/user_beancounter/

> I can't find the include/linux/capability.h file in the
> kernel-2.4.19ctx-14.tar.gz tarball.

  find /usr/src/linux/ -name capability.h

        -Paul

--