From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Wed 21 Aug 2002 - 13:42:44 BST

On 21 Aug 2002, Huibert Alblas wrote:

> Sofar a script I created copies a vserver to a new vserver_name with new
> ipaddress, then the script edits the configfiles for the needed
> services... ( with a little help from the 2 Brothers Sed 'n Awk )

FreeVSD is a set of scripts which is more oriented to building filesystem
skeletons and doing all the IP address/ hostname fixups. Some people run
this ontop of a vservers setup:

  http://www.freevsd.org/

Although, as you'll see, you probably don't need to do this in most cases
(except for filing in `/etc/hosts' and the like).

> What will happen if all servers were down (after rebooting the main
> server ) and the first vserver is started? will it bind to 0.0.0.0 for
> all its services?

Nope, binding to `0.0.0.0' in a vserver will be automatically forced to the
*first* IP address given to *that* vserver.

The problem comes if you bind to `0.0.0.0' in the *host* server without
using a `v_apache' script. This would then snatch all the addresses on the
server (including all vserver addresses), even if the vservers haven't been
started yet.

The best way is probably not to run much (and anything) in the host server
except SSH and make sure you either use a `v_ssh' script, or manually set
SSHd to bind to one IP address in the host server.

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB