From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed 14 Aug 2002 - 20:03:41 BST

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 23:07:26 -0500, Lyn St George wrote
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:43:40 -0700, Cathy Sarisky wrote:
>
> >Ah, I think I understand my problem with vunify. Do I understand correctly
> >that vunify only works with rpms? Eww.. I have stuff built from source. :(
>
> My servers are also built entirely from tarballs, as I have a personal
> aversion to that RPM thing.
>
> If you have a "template" / "skeleton" / "reference" server from which
> all the hard links are made to the VS's, then it should be just a matter
> of upgrading the reference server, without having to use any of the
> vunify or other scripts. (though it's late and I've just had a few
> drinks with my cousins ..... )

Won't work. Upgrading a package generally implies a lot of unlink. So the hard link
relation is gone. unlinking is done to allow upgrading busy programs (in use). This
is what rpm does as well as many installation facility (dpkg probably does the same).

The idea behind unification, beside saving a lot of disk space, is to have complete
independance. So any vserver may update independantly without changing the others.
this is true for the so called reference vserver.

So your only reliable solution is to update and run vunify again (or whatever
unification technology you want).