From: Lyn St George (lyn_at_zolotek.net)
Date: Mon 05 Aug 2002 - 00:27:17 BST

On Sun, 04 Aug 2002 22:50:53 +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:

>> The changes I had to make to the sources were quite minor. The only place
>> that I think breaks the default installation (make install 'n friends) was
>> the Makefile.
>
>Did you make any changes in the vbuild utility? The idea behind it
>is great, using hard links to copy a reference root, but it's
>implemented using rpm, which doesn't work well in a standard debian
>installation. I haven't had time to tamper with it yet myself.
>
> > Would anyone consider it worth the effort (but more
>> importantly would they be rolled into the distribution) if I produced
>> patches that meant you could build both rpms and debs from the tar.gz?
>
>I myself would appreciate this very much.

Another point on this same issue: none of my boxes use rpm,
debian, or anything similar. They are all built using tarballs. This
means that the 'vbuild' or 'vunify' tools don't work as intended, as
there is no package information to query when deciding whether
to make links or copies, and so everything gets copied.

My solution to this is to hand craft 2 reference servers: ref1 has
only things to be hard linked and ref2 only things to be copied.
I then modified 'vbuild' to only link (can no longer copy), and
modified the 'vserver' script to copy from ref2 and do the other bits.

I'm in the process of building a Webmin module to automate
this, and if anyone is interested I can release it when finished.

-
Cheers
Lyn St George