From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Tue 06 Aug 2002 - 19:37:39 BST

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 02:18:26 -0500, Mark Lawrence wrote
> Hello all,
>
> I apologise for the noise if this has already been done, but I am not
> subscribed and don't know the past history.
>
> I have created a debian package of the vserver utilities version 0.18 and
> included an implementation of "newvserver" based on debootstrap for a
> debian system. If people would find either of these useful then I would be
> pleased to mail them to someone, but unfortunately cannot host the package
> myself. Perhaps the official web site would be a good place?
>
> Just one note on the whole /etc/init.d/* thing: For simplicity my package
> modifies /etc/init.d/rc to prepend "chbind" in front of all system scripts
> so that you don't have the mess of swapping individual init scripts which
> are possibly already customized. This probably doesn't work for you if you
> run multiple IPs in your root server...

Maybe, but the goal is not the keep services in the root server.

> The changes I had to make to the sources were quite minor. The only place
> that I think breaks the default installation (make install 'n friends) was
> the Makefile. Would anyone consider it worth the effort (but more
> importantly would they be rolled into the distribution) if I produced
> patches that meant you could build both rpms and debs from the tar.gz?
>
> Just a thought because I would rather not go through this effort again
> when the next version is released :)

I have been working on something like this. Currently I have
the /usr/sbin/vserver script which dynamically handle debian and other
distribution. So you can have a mix of distributions in vservers. I have done
many changes here and there in the script to clean it up.

I have not addressed the newvserver script. Please send me yours and I will
try to merge that, keeping the dynamic (multi distribution) feature.

Currently, you can build the rpm from the Makefile (make buildrpm). I would
like to get the equivalent for debian. So please send it to me.

Once I have this, I will produce deb and rpm for every releases