Re: [vserver] End of life of 4.9

From: Adrian Butterworth <adrian_at_economicoutlook.net>
Date: Sun 15 Jan 2023 - 05:48:50 GMT

Thanks Ghislain.

The existing 4.9.312-vs2.3.9.13 patch worked for me against 4.9.337 with a
simple bump of "SUBLEVEL = 337" to the Makefile.

I got a clean compile & am about to test on a non critical host. Ghislain, I
know you run some regression tests but not sure which & where you got them.

Given this is the last 4.9 it would be good if Herbert can generate an
official patch & put it on the site.

Ideally Herbert is finding time to do the major work, but I have been
considering options, if a serious security hole needs urgently patching before
then.

One option is the Civil Infrastructure "Super Long Term Support" (SLTS) kernels.
These are maintained for 32-bit ARM and x86-64 systems in very long-lived
infrastructure. ref: https://www.cip-project.org/

They are already supporting 4.4.x to 2026 with a likely extension to 2036, so
it should be possible to apply the patch-4.4.302-vs2.3.9.9.diff against their
ongoing releases with minimal effort. I'll look into this further next week.

For me its going backwards a little, but I already backport the e1000e drivers
to 4.9 for current generation hardware & expect it will be fine on 4.4.

Ideally a small jump forward would be better. The latter announced SLTS
kernels are the 4.19.x & 5.10.x series.

A bump of the 4.9.x vserver patches to 4.19.x may be small enough to be done
relatively quickly & would get us to 2024 with LTS & at least another decade
of SLTS. Perhaps Herbert already has an idea on this. If not I'll run the
4.9 patches against it when I get a chance to get a handle on the scale of
conflicts.

regards
Adrian

On Mon, January 9, 2023 17:08, Ghislain Adnet wrote:
> hi,
> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-4.9.337-LTS-Over
> LINUX KERNEL --
> The Linux 4.9 kernel was released back in 2016 and Greg Kroah-Hartman today
issued the final point release for that kernel series with the Long Term
Support (LTS) period now expired.
> After Linux 4.9 was in an upgraded six-year LTS period, Linux 4.9.337 was
released this morning as the final update to that kernel series. hope bertl
has good news for us !