Re: [vserver] funding the 5.10 vserver goal

From: Ghislain Adnet <gadnet_at_aqueos.com>
Date: Tue 02 Nov 2021 - 11:18:39 GMT

Le 01/11/2021 à 17:31, Herbert Poetzl a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 12:02:27AM +1030, Adrian Butterworth wrote:
>> Hi
>
> Hey Adrian,
>
>> This years LTS 5.15 was released yesterday but with a short EOL
>> of Oct 2023 :(

is it generaly increased when sponsor shows up. As long as nobody popup they stay with short timeframe but it can increase if someone do.

i bet someone will show for 5.16+ to secure a kernel with the new io optimisation that appeared recently.

>> This suggests 5.10 with an EOL of 2026 would be a better base
>> for the next linux-vserver LTS for those of us planning server
>> infrastructure.

hi all,

5.10 will really be the base for me, with the major change to IO in the kernel of 5.16 i hope the work will be usable on those one because the performance gain is so huge it would be a shame to miss those ones.

Also i need to go to a filesystem that do checksumming and after trying ZFS who failed in a catastrophic way on my backup servers i am left with btrfs wich is very good from 5.11+ but i guess 5.10 to 5.11 would be quite easy.

I also think that proc virtualisation is to be abandonned in profit of the externaly maintained https://github.com/lxc/lxcfs system.

> I'm not worried there at all and it's perfectly fine to address
> this once the patch is ready and tested.

there is 99% chance i prefer to pay my part on the fiscal year of 2021 :)

--
cordialement,
Ghislain ADNET.