Re: [vserver] Short summary of a VServer user

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 28 May 2021 - 16:21:32 BST

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 05:12:18PM +0200, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,

Hey Sam,

> After trying VirtualBox I can tell you that VServer is the
> lightest, the most flexible and 100% manageable from a terminal
> which is very useful for a server hosted in a datacenter.

Great to hear that our goals of lightweight isolation pay
off in real world tests!

> A simple rsync transfer of the directory / of the machine in
> the /var/lib/ vservers/<machine> created and it works!

> A little reminder though VServer does not work on Ubuntu 20.04
> LTS because of Init systemd, VServer currently only works with
> Init SysV so to be installed on Debian 9.13 (tested).

Yes, systemd is not really Linux-VServer friendly but
luckily there are still some systemd-less distributions
around like for example Devuan, Obarun or Artix.

> I hope that VServer will continue to be maintained and possibly
> made compatible with Init Systemd.

While we are in feature freeze, we try our best to keep
the project alive and who knows, if there is real interest
in getting it working with systemd, we might even adapt
it too.

> Thanks to the whole VServer team.

Thanks for using Linux-VServer,
Herbert