[vserver] Issue with Debian 9 guest system

From: <thorsten.edler_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun 10 Mar 2019 - 23:44:58 GMT

Dear all,

I'm testing with Linux-VServer and I'm running into a problem:

Host-System is: Debian 9 with a patched kernel: Linux debian 4.9.159-vs2.3.9.8
util-vserver-systemd: comes from 'repo psand' as: 0.30.216-pre3131-stretch0.1-1
I have installed these parts:
- util-vserver-systemd
- util-vserver-systemd-sysv
- util-vserver-systemd-build
which, if I understood right, should 'help with' (work around) the known systemd-issues with Debian 8/9

I started 'service util-vserver start' and then 'service vprocunhide start', both without errors.

My only successful attempt to build AND start a guest system was with 'Debian 8 Jessie'. This vserver runs, after I started it with 'vserver <name-jessie-based-vserver> start' command, without any issues.
When I'm trying to do the same with a guest system based on Debian 9 Stretch, then I get the following error, after starting the guest system:

******************************error***************************************************

# vserver <name-stretch-based-vserver> start
No command given; use '--help' for more information.

An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
() failed.

Common causes are:
* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
appending 'true' to this file will help.

Failed to start vserver '<name-stretch-based-vserver>'

That's the point where I actually am and I can't find any helpful hints on http://linux-vserver.org.
Any idea, how to get this problem "fixed" and the Debian 9 guest system to be started?

Regards and thx,

Thorsten