Re: [vserver] CentOS 7

From: Tor Rune Skoglund <trs_at_swi.no>
Date: Thu 17 Jan 2019 - 09:10:36 GMT

Den 17.01.2019 05:54, skrev Herbert Poetzl:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 06:56:41PM +0100, roman.pretory@austrianonlines.com wrote:
>> if there is no support for systemd means
>
> Systemd doesn't like to run inside a proper isolated
> container especially not with reduced capabilities.
>
> That said, it seems to work in LXC nowadays, so I'm
> kind of confident that with just enough permissions
> it will probably work with only small or no modifications.
>
> To be honest, there hasn't been much interest in getting
> systemd running inside a Linux-VServer guest in the past
> few years ...

For what it's worth, I'd like to flag that there is definitely interest
in getting it working inside containers from my company. As you say,
since LXC and others types of containerization seem to work find (e.g.
Docker), I would *guess* it would be doable for linux-vserver too. Have
no idea about the work needed.... :)

> While there are many other distributions which work
> just fine without systemd, most distribution services
> can be started from a simple script without the need
> for systemd bossing around mainly because all of the
> hardware related stuff has been taken care of already
> and sshd and friends usually do not need a nanny to
> watch over them.

Yes, well. It's also a "marketing" issue towards customers, developers
and management. "Doesn't it work with Ubuntu/Debina/<fill in any high
profile distro>? Then we don't use it!"

> Note that if there is real interest in getting systemd
> working under Linux-VServer (for whatever reason) then
> I'm willing to investigate this, but it's no fun to
> debug stuff with systemd so it has to be worthwhile.

That would be really great, actually.

BR,
Tor Rune Skoglund