[vserver] RE : [vserver] VPS Restoration using Symantec BackupExec

From: <DLASALLE_at_barreau.qc.ca>
Date: Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 00:10:25 BST

Envoyé depuis un mobile Samsung.

-------- Message d'origine --------
De : Herbert Poetzl
Date :04/16/2014 19:00 (GMT-05:00)
À : Lasalle Daniel
Cc : vserver@list.linux-vserver.org
Objet : Re: [vserver] VPS Restoration using Symantec BackupExec

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 07:18:31PM +0000, DLASALLE@barreau.qc.ca wrote:
> Hello,

> My organisation has been using Symantec Backup Exec for doing
> the backups of our VPSes. Now our server died and we are having
> troubles restoring the backup from the tape. Would anybody have
> any experience with such setup?

Maybe you could elaborate what the problems are?

> If not, would you happen to have the best practices for
> backing up Vserver VPSes on tape (which is hosted on a Windows
> machine)?

I wouldn't think of putting the tape drive on a windows
machine, but to make that work you probably want to have
an archive file per guest, like a .tar so that the windows
platform only has to backup this single file (similar for
incremental backups).

> All that I am able to find are rsync and scp/nfs solutions.

Any archive format should be fine, as long as it handles
attributes and ownerships properly.

For tape (on Unix/Linux) besides the obvious tar, there
is also cpio and for ext2/3 dump/restore, which all can
handle tape drives properly.

HTH,
Herbert