Re: [vserver] Stable release?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 17 Dec 2013 - 17:19:28 GMT

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 09:46:27AM +0100, Romain Rivière wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi Romain,

> About 2 years ago, people donated money in order to support
> stabilization based on a 3.0.x or 3.x kernel.

And it was well spent on getting a working 3.x branch.
(3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6-3.10)

> The latest information on this is from November 2011:

> stabilization is going slowly, but steady and with
> good results IMHO, we already rewrote/cleaned up the
> CoW link breaking and parts of the debug system, and
> I'm currently preparing an advanced kernel build and
> test system (but more about that in a later mail :)

Advanced kernel build system died off because nobody except
us was interested and existing services disappeared.

> (Herbert)

Well, nobody expected that 3.x will stay a development
kernel and thus a moving target ...

Nevertheless, I consider recent 3.x patches at least as
stable as the mainline kernels, so something like vs2.3.6.8
should work quite well and provide all the features you
know from Linux-VServer and mainline.

> As far as I can tell, there has been no news since, so
> the official stable Linux-Vserver release is still kernel
> 2.6.22.19-vs2.2.0.7 from march 2008 :)

Yes, that was the last patch 'officially' labeled 'stable'.

> How is stabilization going nowadays?

At the moment, we are trying to catch up with mainline,
i.e. 3.12/3.13 and as contributions have basically stopped,
we are doing the best to maintain the existing patches and
slowly adapt to recent changes.

> Is there anything one can do to help?

As usual, all help is welcome/appreciated.

HTC,
Herbert