Re: [vserver] Moving VServers from one host to another

From: Jean Weisbuch <jean_at_phpnet.org>
Date: Sat 26 Oct 2013 - 16:56:50 BST

Yes it is, i usually first copy the /etc/vservers/vservername first
using rsync and correct what might be different for the new host then i
do a first copy using "rsync --numeric-ids -a" of the VServer directory
(--numeric ids is very important as without it you might end up with
files with the wrong owner/group in case both hosts doesnt have the same
uid/username and gid/group mapping) then i stop the VServer on the old
host, do another rsync and re-starts it on the new host, doing that i am
sure to avoid any IP conflict and that datas are consistant.

Depending on how much datas are in the guest and how much files are
modified, you might want to do another rsync just before stopping the
vserver by doing something like "rsync... && vserver vservername stop &&
rsync...", if you want to do it the fastest possible you can add a SSH
passwordless preshared key between the 2 servers and make all the
commands to be launched sequentially.

On a LAN or fast network between the 2 hosts, with a VServer without too
much datas/traffic, you can expect a downtime of less than 30seconds if
you do it correctly.