Re: [vserver] Moving VServers from one host to another

From: Romain Riviere <romain+vserver_at_forty-two.fr>
Date: Sat 26 Oct 2013 - 16:59:29 BST

Hi,

On 26/10/2013 17:34, Bendtsen, Jon wrote:
>> I would like to have a procedure to move a vserver guest from one host to another. Is this much more than moving everything from /etc/vservers/"vservertomove" using something like rsync?
>
> I think you need to make sure that the CTX of the vserver guest that you move are not already used on the vserver host that you move it to.

I do that from time to time between two almost identical host servers.
My procedure is :
- "hot" rsync (vserver running)
- stop vserver on old host
- "cold" rsync
- start vserver on new host
- update ARP cache with arping
- move /etc/vserver/<vs>/apps/init/mark from old host to new host, in
order to ensure proper vserver start on only *ONE* host in case of a reboot

My vservers have public IPs assigned to their network interface, which
is why I use arping on the new host to speed up the APR cache updating
when the new IP is added.

The rsyncing is done at the host level and excludes the usual /proc and
/dev.

Cheers

--
Romain