[vserver] Creating a new Debian host

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders42_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 16:51:07 BST

Any one have suggestions to share for setting up a new Debian host for
Linux-Vserver?

I have only done one Debian system and that was with adult supervision
:-) and it was for a desktop/workstation several months ago. I mostly
pressed the keys I was told to while trying to figure out correlations
to a CentOS install.
    A few differences in terminology and process to say the least.

This will be on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 16G RAM dual 4-core
processors and hardware raid (5). While doing initial research I found
the priority=medium kernel option so should get more of the questions
asked that I need verses a standard install.
    I would appreciate suggestions for partition sizes. Especially /,
and /usr . And do I really need to add a swap partition?

Also what packages to install for a pretty flexible host system.

Most of the guests will be running Postfix (mail exchangers) and Named
(authoritative and resolvers.) These include some simple scripts (shell
and Perl) to automate and monitor their operations.
    Later LAMP (and simple Apache) guests will be added.

I have read Ben's(?) instructions on upgrading to the Linux-Vserver
kernel and adding the util-vserver packages but if there are any
subtleties a newbie to Debian needs I would welcome pointers (or
clue-sticks).

TIA,
Rod