Re: [vserver] Virtualbox in guest or alongside vserver

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 16 Nov 2012 - 13:50:36 GMT

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 01:59:43PM +0100, Erik Pepermans wrote:
> Hi,

> I need to install a windows guest via headless (=without
> X11) virtualbox on a server running on CentOS with vserver
> installed.

kvm is tested to work alongside Linux-VServer and a
Linux-VServer patched kernel will work inside kvm or
similar (not what you need/want here :)

> My question is whether it is best to run virtualbox alongside
> the host (vserver) or is it possible to install it in a guest
> and run it from there ?

most likely virtualbox will require a number of
capablilities and maybe some kernel modules to work,
so it's probably simpler to run it on the host, unless
you need a specific environment different from the host
in which case a chroot like solution (with minimum
restrictions) is probably the simplest.

HTH,
Herbert