[vserver] repository for current debian vserver kernel packages

From: Christian Recktenwald <kernel_at_lihas.de>
Date: Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 15:27:16 BST

Hi folks,

facing debian discontinuing linux vserver kernel packets we thought of
building kernels ourselves - resp. let them get built automatically.

We came up with a tool, that
- determines
  - kernel source code version
  - vserver patch code version
- downloads them
- applies the vserver patch
- applies a .config from the last build
- runs "make oldconfig" and acknowleges the proposed defaults
- compiles the kernel
- builds the kernel-package
- sets up a virtual machine using kvm and squeeze
- install the new kernel package
- runs some tests
  - boot
  - check ip connectivity
  - create lvm2 pv, vg, lv
  - more to come (iptables, ...)
- builds a meta package for easy updating
- uploads the packages to our repository

So, if basic tests fail, no kernel packages are provided.
We are very well aware of the pitfalls this simple process
may include and so should you :-)

/etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://ftp.lihas.de/lihas-kernel/ stable main

$APT-TOOL install linux-image-3.4-vserver-amd64

Currently this service is provided for kernel 3.4

Further plans include automatic builds of util-vserver,
drbd-utils, improved tests, other kernel versions
and, last but not least, general improvements.

Please direct questions and suggestions to

        kernel@lihas.de

- chris

--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91