[vserver] Debian guest

From: Tor Rune Skoglund <trs_at_sg.no>
Date: Wed 13 Jun 2012 - 18:19:10 BST

Hi,

since the list is too quiet for someone's liking, I thought I inject a
question :)

Doing some testing here... Have a Gentoo host, and wanting to build a
Debian guest. So what is the really simple, easy, straightforward,
fool-proof, dumbass way of installing a debian guest system? ;)

Was trying that recipe on the wiki (
http://linux-vserver.org/Building_Guest_Systems ), but firstly it failed
due to wrong deb location. ("ERROR: Could not download the debootstrap
package from ...")

So I did edit that /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/debootstrap/uri file to
point it to
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.40_all.deb
, as it seemed to be suggested, and changing to -d squeeze on the
command line too:

vserver test build -m debootstrap --context 100 --hostname
test.mydomain.com --interface eth0:10.0.2.100/24 -- -d squeeze -m
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

Then, "E: Invalid release, no entry for
main/binary-GenuineIntel/Packages" and more errors. Which might indicate
that the inherited architecture from the Gentoo host is not supported by
Debian. But then: "GeniuneIntel"...???

Any pointers before I stay up all night trying to find the solution? I
am really no Debian expert...

- Tor Rune Skoglund, vserver user since 2001