[vserver] strange networking behaviour

From: Steve Kieu <msh.computing_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue 06 Sep 2011 - 05:02:49 BST

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing strange networking behavior not sure why.

I ran a proxmox distro but (debian based on lenny) but using
kernel 2.6.32.43-vs2.3.0.36.29.7. so just use proxmox to handle kvm and the
rest is vserver.

Proxmox created a bridge vmbr0 and bridge it with eth0
(main physical NIC connected to the LAN) - vmbr0 has an external IP
10.200.10.20/24. All kvm will use tap devices and bridge to vmbr0.

Now I use vservers setup using vmbr0 as its interface - so that they can be
the same network 10.200.10.0/24 - is it possible to use a bridge as an
interface for a vserver guest?

The strange thing here is, all IP in the vserver space does not visible from
other host in the different network (not tested if the same network though)
- Only OK if I do a

arping -U -I vmbr0 IP

and then Ctrl+C to stop it which is weird as just restarting the box, and I
need to do it again - pretty sure the arp cache timeout of our router is 4
hours but it happened since yesterday afternoon till now, far more than that
time.

Also if I stared new kvm or stop existing kvm, the host lose all network
connectivity for several seconds and then the main IP (.20) recover by
itself, but all other vserver IP is not, Need to run the arping again.
<sigh>

I do not know what I did wrong, maybe something obvious that I miss. The
bridge , stp is disabled, and fd is set to 0 (proxmox set it automatically)

any idea why it is doing that way? many thanks,

cheers

--
Steve Kieu