Re: [vserver] opteron server dies with vserver patch.

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 30 Aug 2011 - 13:17:58 BST

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 02:16:16PM +0200, Pawel Sikora wrote:
>> Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>>> heh, the observed opteron's machine lock also occurs on a
>>> loaded desktop machine with single disk and quad-core i3 cpu.

>>> I'm wondering if the ext4 filesystem could be a faulty element?

>> what kernel/patch version was that again?

> it was on the 2.6.38.8 with vs2.3.0.37-rc17.

>>> all these locking machines have ext4. i'll check ext3 in the
>>> next week...

>> good idea ...

> switching from ext4 to ext2 (ext3 not tested yet) looks like a
> working hack. at least the 3.0.3 kernel with vs3.2.1-pre10 is
> working on ext2 with full load so far...

I still cannot reproduce the issue and I'm still confused
why your system only logs the last part of a kernel stack
trace ...

> on the ext4 it dies in few minutes. recent dmesg and decoded
> patterns at:
> http://pluto.agmk.net/kernel/vs-crash-3.0.3-vs2.3.1-pre10/

running kernel builds inside a guest for a day now (on ext4)
without any apparent issues or kernel messages ... maybe you
could elaborate on the setup, especially the ext4 mount, the
options, number of mounts, etc

maybe also the load which seems to trigger that issue would
be helful/interesting ...

besides that, it would be interesting to test with a 3.0
kernel just to see if the issue persists

TIA,
Herbert