[vserver] CentOS 5 Samba problem

From: Guenther Fuchs <vserver_at_muh.at>
Date: Sat 13 Aug 2011 - 17:58:20 BST

hi there,

using Daniel Hozak's 2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1 kernel I ran into a major
problem with the samba service: A yet running samba servicing guest
copied from an old backup to hte freshly installed CO5 machine with a/m
kernel has not been able to serve samba services anymore. All other IP
based services (SSH, webserver, etc) run fully identical to the old
system, but the connecting to the (unchangend) samba service is no more
possible since the upgrade.

What I did:

.) rsynced the machine onto a backup disk using
    rsync -aHXPxv --delete
.) re-installed the system (Intel Atom CPU 330) from latest Debian
"stable" kernel to a fresh CO5 sys
    old: 2.6.26-2-vserver-amd64 (Debian stable standard 0.30.216-pre2772
kernel)
    new: 2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1 (dhozac repo supplied; installed from a
mirror)
.) "cp -pr" config and vdir data to same loations as previousely
.) issued vserver [samba-guest] start
.) checked all services: up an running, not showing anything in the
samba log's at all.

Windows error message is useless, as "normal": (German) "Auf \\Samba
kann nicht zugegriffen werden .... Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden"

Would really like to avoid re-installation of the old Debian system as
I'm not too familiar with Debian at all. So if anyone has a hint / guess
where this problem comes from, pls feel welcome to let me know.

--
greez,
Guenther Fuchs