Re: [vserver] Vserver - sponzoring stable release? (Re: [vserver] status ::1 emulation in guests)

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 26 Jul 2011 - 21:32:12 BST

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:49:53PM +0200, Roman Vesely wrote:
> V Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:36:29 +0200
> Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> napsáno:

>>> some folks wanted to sponsor the development and/or

>> How much would it take, roughly?
>> Maybe we can get a few here (me included) to pitch in.

> Yes!

I will calculate this once again based on the new
kernels and provide some rough estimate in the
next few days ...

> And I like to sponsor a release stable Vserver!
> (and maybe many others)

very much appreciated ...

> What is the status of the stable release?

we almost made it to a (somewhat) stable release
for 2.6.38.x (i.e. it was considered a candidate for
further stabilization) but then 2.6.39 and now 3.0
broke many things (some of them are broken upstream
and will probably take some time to get fixed), so
the question really is what we want to stabilize

> I like to contribute (my money ;-) to release
> next stable (and supported!) version
> (after long time ago vs2.2.0.7)

so, if we agree on some version to stabilize, we
can certainly do that, but I'm not sure that a real
stabilization phase which would take at least a
month or two would make much sense for an older
kernel (like 2.6.32) ...

for the 3.0 kernel, we are currently working on
an actually 'working' patch, where everything which
worked in 2.6.38 is present (so for now fixing
broken stuff, not stabilizing :)