[vserver] IPV6 Implementation Guidelines

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Wed 08 Jun 2011 - 16:32:58 BST

Happy IPV6 day...

Now, I read the previous ipv6 posts from a few days back, but I'm new to
ipv6 best practices and struggling to get my head around the
implementation required.

Does someone have a 101 guide to current best practice allocating ipv6
right now?

To give a specific scenario I have a bunch of machines in a datacenter
attached to a switch, and the datacenter can route a static ipv6 range
to the machines. The machines consist of a small number of physical
servers, each running linux-vserver and less than 256 guests per
machine. At present I use a static allocation of IPV4 space to vservers.
 The machines will be publicly accessible and primary DNS servers will
probably be outsourced (we don't yet, but could run secondary DNS servers)

IPV6 seems to be a confusing array of standards and it's not clear on
the best route to allocate addresses given that somewhere up the line
you need to publish in DNS?

Any tips on best practices?

Thanks

Ed W