Re: [vserver] LInux-vserver and "X11 namespacing"

From: Art -kwaak- van Breemen <ard_at_telegraafnet.nl>
Date: Tue 19 Apr 2011 - 10:42:53 BST

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 12:48:21AM +0200, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> I would like to force each guest only to be able to
> draw on one specific virtual desktop on the X11-server, and a
> special application will be used to switch between desktops.
> In a sense, some kind of "X11 namespacing".
> The idea is to be able to install several independent applications -
> with GUI - on a single computer and monitor.

I would suggest looking into X11 authentication and
authorization. You can group multiple clients into a single
untrusted session.
Clients from one untrusted session can not screenshot the trusted
session or other untrusted sessions. This might be a problem for
copy-paste though....

The second thing you can look into is nested X servers.
These are X clients that act as a stand-alone X-server
themselves. There are 2 versions: Xnest and Xephyr.

All in all, this setup has nothing to do with vserver, except for
the part that all the software is running on one host. These used
to be real live situations with multiple physical hosts going to
one X-server.

Anyway, have fun with X. It can do a lot of things the right way,
and I actually think it is under-rated.

Regards,
Ard

PS: untrusted: look into xauth generate options. Watch out for
your own cookies, else you end up having to restart your
X-session ;-).