Re: [vserver] All my vserver guests lost its IP

From: Marcus Mülbüsch <m.muelbuesch_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 08:58:25 BST

Am 13.04.2011 18:06, schrieb Herbert Poetzl:

> check with 'ip a l' on the host, most likely you'll
> see primary addresses (those without any special addon)
> and so called secondaries (they are specifically marked
> as such)
>
> within a given network, there can only be a single primary
> IP, all other IPs will become secondaries, and that is
> where this problem usually arises from, because without
> the promote_secondaries set, the nework stack will simply
> remove all secondaries when the primary is removed

   I'm pretty sure I didn't mess with the primary IP. On the other hand
I had indeed not activated alias promotion, but have now.

>> Any more pointers?
>
> we have a FAQ section devoted to this :)

http://linux-vserver.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#If_I_shut_down_my_vserver_guest.2C_the_whole_Internet_interface_ethX_on_the_host_is_shut_down.__What_happened.3F

    Duh, I thought that would never apply to me since the IP of my
guests always differ from that of my host.

> possible solutions besides the simple promote_secondaries
> is to keep the primary around forever and of course, to
> recreate all the secondaries once the primary is gone
> (probably not so simple :)

    That is why I try never to mess with the primary IP. :)

>> And what is the meaning of life anyway?

http://www.sembeo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/29_the_meaning_of_life_big.jpg

    Usuually your answers are crisp and clear. This on? Well...

Marcus