Re: [vserver] Mix and match guest distributions

From: Adrian Reyer <are_at_lihas.de>
Date: Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 22:32:41 BST

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 02:19:26PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> 1. Is it possible to build a non-Gentoo based guest template?

I take it you run a Gentoo host toi ask that question?
I run Debian hosts and I used Debian, SuSE, Fedora and CentOS guests so
far. I see no reason why you should be restricted on Gentoo.

> Say I have a CentOS or Ubuntu guest on one system and want _VERY_
> similar bunches of guests on other systems. Can I build a template
> of a guest to put somewhere (CD/DVD, USB thumb, network) and use as
> needed?

Sure. If you run i386 host kernels, you can run i386 guests, if you run
amd64 kernels, you can run i386 or amd64 guests.

> 2. If so, how do I create the template?
> Is it as simple as building a tarball of a (non-running) guest?

That's a possibility, however, I suggest you check out method 'rsync'
for vserver build and just have a suitable resynced tree around on your
flash drive. If you point /etc/vservers/NAME/vdir at the right location
you could even run your guest on different hosts, taking it with you.
You should make sure to set the barrier-flag correctly.

> 3. And if I'm heading down a good path what would you say is the
> most stripped down distribution that could be used for the host?

Sorry, no useful opinion here, I just happen to run an 'approx' vserver
for my debian based guests. And while vserver setup deletes startup
links for hardware-centric services, they happen and reappear on
updates. I suggest setting them to 'K' links instead. At least the ones
that don't try and modify hardware on shutdown.

Regards,
        _are_

--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91