[vserver] Multicast ip configuration scalability problem

From: Furgerot Julien <julien.furgerot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri 01 Apr 2011 - 10:13:45 BST

Hi all,

I have a scalability problem related to ip configuration.

If you remember my system, I have a distributed VoIP system using multicast
addresses for communications.
If I have understood correctly, binding a socket to listen on a multicast
address requires a 'nodev' network interface configured like this :

/etc/vservers/VM/interfaces/XX/ :

ip : "224.0.0.10",
prefix : 24
nodev

This is a good workaround, but now I'm testing scalability, let say 1000
VoIP units with 2500 communications. Since I have one multicast IP by
communication, I need to declare 2500 interfaces on each VM. When doing
that, all vserver command (start/stop/enter) are taking a long time to
execute, between 1 and 5 minutes.

Could you help me to resolve this issue ? Would you happen to have any hint
to work that around, for instance by declaring network ranges of address ?

Sincerely,
Julien