[vserver] Resource Limit issues

From: Joe Gooch <mrwizard_at_k12system.com>
Date: Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 15:13:52 GMT

I have several servers that have run Debian Lenny w/ kernel 2.6.22.19 for quite some time without any issues. I've been doing rolling upgrades to Squeeze... and I've encountered some strange limiting behavior.

Some of my vservers have limits on resource usage (i.e. rlimits/as, rlimits/nproc, rlimits/rss), and have been experiencing out of memory issues to the extent that I can't even vserver exec processes into the namespace anymore.

Looking at all my /proc/virtual/xxx/limit I see the following:
VM: 73456 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
VM: 7264 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
*VM: -27253 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
VM: 6751 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
VM: 183464 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
VM: 1261030 0/ 2224643 -1/ -1 0
VM: 41791 0/ 199142 -1/ -1 0
VM: 191196 0/ 258038 -1/ -1 0
VM: 199354 0/ 1603723 -1/ -1 0
VM: 670480 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
-VM: 45315 0/ 1200000 1200000/ 1200000 0
VM: 31508 0/ 300000 300000/ 300000 0
*VM: -88860 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
VM: 431386 0/ 502421 -1/ -1 0
*VM: -14804 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
VM: 25737 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0

Notice have 3 vservers on different hosts that have negative "current" values for virtual memory. (at the moment) The ones that have no hard/soft limit are ok... but if I have a hard limit configured, I can't spawn any more processes when this happens. I have a vserver where this happens at least once a day. (the dashed one above)

I would assume that a negative current value is a bug... Is there a delta to fix this? Kernel is 2.6.32-5-vserver from squeeze. (mostly 686 kernels)... In looking at their deb it looks like they're using vs2.3.0.36.29.6.

Thanks.
Joe