Re: [vserver] readonly root

From: Martin <inkubus_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Wed 09 Mar 2011 - 14:10:15 GMT

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 15:02 +0100, Corin Langosch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I basically want to have a single vserver installation and start it
> several times using different configuration options (mainly for
> different network settings). Most important, the files should be
> readonly/ immutable from within the vserver instances. What's the best
> way to achive this?
You may wish to read the Linux Filesystem Standard which tells you which
part of the filesystem need to be read / write, which can be read only,
etc. Beyond that you may wish to look at the overlay setup that live
CDs use.

> I assume this should automatically reduce memory usage a lot because the
> same files/inodes/libs are used/ shared by all instances, right?
Have you looked at vashify / hardlinks?

Over all what problem are you trying to solve? Read only filesystems
may not be the best way of acheiving reduced memory / disk usage, etc.

Cheers,
 - Martin