Re: [vserver] ubuntu 10.04 as a guest

From: Wojciech Giel <wojciech.giel_at_cimr.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue 08 Mar 2011 - 13:57:37 GMT

Hi Herbert,

On 08/03/11 12:33, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> for portmapper, make sure that you do not run an unrestricted
> portmapper on the host, as it will bind to all IPs including
> the guest IPs, which in turn will keep the guest's portmapper
> from even starting ...

I'm running on host and on guests portmapper with -i 127.0.0.1 also
tried with specific ip address .

> for the nfs(d) part, you want to go for an userspace nfsd not
> the kernel nfsd, as a guest is not permitted to load and/or
> access kernel modules

I just want to use nfs client and autofs on guest as I'm using now on
ubuntu server 8.04.

>> bcapabilites and ccapablilites have proper flags. but can't mount
>> with locking I get this error.
>
> define proper :)

I'm using these setting on ubuntu server 8.04 and everything is working
fine while on 10.4 is not.

cat bcapabilities
SYS_ADMIN
CAP_SYS_RAWIO
CAP_MKNOD
CAP_SYS_ADMIN
CAP_IPC_LOCK
CAP_IPC_OWNER

cat ccapabilities
SECURE_MOUNT
SECURE_REMOUNT
BINARY_MOUNT

>> mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
>> mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
>
> this sounds more like you are trying to mount an nfs volume
> inside the guest, but without context it's hard to tell ...

yes. I want use nfs on guest. each developer has a VServer guest, home
directories are mounted from central storage. Developers are now asking
for more modern software. I'm trying to prepare environment (newer lts
version of ubuntu server).

thanks for response
Wojciech

--
wojciech.giel@cimr.cam.ac.uk
JDRF/WT Diabetes and Inflammation Laboratory (DIL)