Re: [vserver] Request - please avoid patching EXTRAVERSION?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 11 Feb 2011 - 16:00:19 GMT

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:16:46AM +0000, Ed W wrote:
> Hi Herbert

> I have started to look at a process to track vserver, plus a couple
> of other kernel patches that I like. One of the minor snags I keep
> hitting is minor merge failures with the Makefile...

> These merge conflicts would disappear if you would be kind enough to
> switch to using the "localversion-" method to add EXTRAVERSION params
> rather than patching the Makefile?

assuming that you use the proper base kernel, I don't
see why that chunk would cause any merge failures ...

> (this also seems like the most advocated solution as well?)

we use the EXTRAVERSION to ensure that everybody who
uses the patch on a different kernel release as intended
gets a proper 'warning' at patch time, let me know how
to do that with localversion-* and I'm all ears ...

> To be explicit, if you would please create a file: localversion-vserver

> With the contents, eg: -vs2.3.0.37-rc4

> Then this would achieve the same effect as modifying EXTRAVERSION, but
> would assist me by removing a regular merge failure which I'm finding
> difficult to automate?

I don't see why that would be hard to automate for you,
after all, I automated the EXTRAVERSION change as well,
with a simple sed line ...

> Also, I notice that you include in your patch some files normally
> excluded by the kernel .gitignore:
> drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/*_reg_safe.h

those files are created at build time, and not removed
by 'make mrproper' (for whatever reason) so they sneak
into the diff till I add an explizit exclude/ignore for
them ... the proper solution would be to fix it upstream
as IMHO 'make mrproper' is supposed to remove those
files as well ...

> Perhaps these should be excluded when you cut your patch?

as I said, I'll probably add them to an ignorelist when
they stick around for some time ...