Re: [vserver] vserver saves my ass yet again

From: Ben Green <ben_at_bristolwireless.net>
Date: Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 23:41:36 GMT

Quoting "Eugen Leitl" <eugen@leitl.org>:

> I'm using the Bristol wireless kernels from the repo
> deb http://repo.psand.net/ lenny main
>
> (incidentally, after having installed two systems with
> 2.6.36-vs2.3.0.36.38-beng today, are these safe to use
> in production, or should I go back to
> 2.6.31.14-vs2.3.0.36.28.2-beng ?) which don't come
> with grsec+pax (or whatever de rigeur is these days).

With 2.6.31 kernels in Lenny, I'm watching that line and providing
security updates. That's the only promise I'll try to stick to. For
the Lenny part of the repo there'll be no more 2.6.36 updates.

For Squeeze it's more lively. There's now metapackages for the 2.6.36
series, so installing linux-image-vserver-2.6.36-beng will install the
latest 2.6.36 build. I just uploaded 2.6.36.2 in the Squeeze part of
the repo.

With 2.6.36 you are on your own completely, I'm not even trying to
promise any kind of support at this time.

Also, the Squeeze repositories now have the latest util-vserver
packages built directly from the source.

> I would be very interested in grsec etc. patched kernels.
> I would be even willing to build these and test them, provided
> somebody writes down a good recipe for how to apply patches
> and roll Debian packages from these which are as functional
> as those from the Bristol Wireless repo.

I'll send you the scripts I use off list, it's very simple. I'm not
interested in doing Grsec patches myself.

Cheers,
==
 From Ben Green