[vserver] vserver won't start properly

From: andy baxter <andy_at_earthsong.free-online.co.uk>
Date: Thu 09 Dec 2010 - 17:10:33 GMT

Hi,

I have set up a couple of vservers on my debian stable machine, both
running ubuntu lucid. The first one, dolphin, has been running nicely
for a while. I built a copy of it (using the rsync method to 'vserver
build'), and changed the hostname to make another vserver, alien.
Yesterday I managed to get alien to start up, and it was working fine
with apache / php / mysql running on it and the network being routed on
the host machine. Today there was a power interruption and now it won't
start up - when I do 'vserver alien start', it boots up to a certain
point with a few processes running, but most of the services don't start up.

This is 'ps ax' on the vserver:

root@whale:/# ps ax
   PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
     1 ? Ss 0:00 /sbin/init
  3876 ? Ss 0:00 /bin/sh -e /proc/self/fd/9
  3897 ? S 0:00 initctl emit local-filesystems
  3915 ? Ss 0:00 dbus-daemon --system --fork
  3973 ? R+ 0:00 login
  4006 pts/2 Ss 0:00 /bin/bash -login
  4019 pts/2 R+ 0:00 ps ax

This is 'vserver alien status' on the host:

whale:/etc/aide# vserver alien status
Vserver 'alien' is running at context '40003'
Number of processes: 4
Uptime: 00:14

The other thing I find strange is that when I log into alien using
either 'vserver enter 'or ssh (which was working yesterday but not
today), the hostname in the terminal is reported as 'whale'.

whale:/etc/aide# vserver alien enter
root@whale:/# hostname
whale
root@whale:/# cat /etc/hostname