Re: [vserver] "http://repo.psand.net/ lenny main" debian repository : util-vserver-basic-debian package error => "/var/lib/vservers/.: Function not implemented"

From: Ben Green <ben_at_bristolwireless.net>
Date: Mon 29 Nov 2010 - 11:39:32 GMT

Quoting Ghislain <gadnet@aqueos.com>:

>> This is a problem with the package util-vserver-basic-debian. If it
>> isn't installed on an already existing vserver kernel, it won't work.
>> I think Ghislain who builds those packages might be interested in
>> sorting that out.
>>
>> The workaround is to reboot with the new kernel (which installed fine
>> for you), then to run
>>
>> apt-get -f install
>>
>> to get the utils installed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ==
>> From Ben Green
>
> yes perhaps i should simply refuse to install on non vserver enabled
> kernel. Do you see any useful scenario where the util should install on
> a non vserver enabled kernel ?
>
> with kernel that are not enable barrier setting fails and therefor the
> user is responsible to create it later that seems to me a security issue
> as no one will do it . So i think i will simply prevent any install on
> non enabled kernels if no one has any other advice on this.

It's probably best to look at the Debian policy on such things. It's
easier for the user if the package will just install, perhaps giving a
warning about the barrier flag, or simply provide a README.security in
the documentation. Anything that prevents a packages install or
removal can really create headaches for users.

I like it when we find issues though, as it prompts you to produce new
packages for us ;)

Cheers,
==
 From Ben Green