[vserver] nginx fastcgi on vserver (contao)

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Tue 16 Nov 2010 - 13:30:00 GMT

Hi,

this isn't a strictly a vserver-specific question, but it probably
has bitten several people.

Anyone using nginx + fastcgi successfully in a Linux vserver debian
lenny guest?

I'm getting 502 Bad Gateway, presumably due to
the following passage in the nginx config:

 location ~ .php$ {
  fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
  fastcgi_index index.php;
  fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME /var/www/www.some-domain.com/htdocs$fastcgi_script_name;
  include fastcgi_params;
 }

I've tried using the actual static IP of the vserver
guest there, but that didn't change the behaviour.

I'm following the instructions from

http://www.linux-web-development.de/2010/04/21/howto-typolight-mit-nginx-und-mysql

which strangely enough don't mention installing
spawn-fcgi from lighttpd. When I invoke the fastcgi
PHP gateway manually as

php -b some.ip.here:9000

it works, however. Should I just bite the bullet, and try doing
it the lighttpd way, or the dedicated daemon way as
below?

http://tomasz.sterna.tv/2009/04/php-fastcgi-with-nginx-on-ubuntu/

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org