Re: [vserver] Re: Linux source address selection vs. EUI-64

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Mon 15 Nov 2010 - 09:45:11 GMT

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 02:22:40PM +0100, Romain Riviere wrote:

> All I'm saying is, for the time being, catastrophic
> predictions that we're making the same mistakes as
> with IPv4 are a little dramatic and possibly premature.

Strange, I provided you with evidence that IPv6 space
will run out within about the same time as IPv4, using
pretty conservative assumptions (which we know won't
hold).

> I agree with you that if every human gets a /32 we

There you go, talking about 7 gigamonkeys, whereas
the number of embedded Internet devices will hit
twice that by 2015. TinyOS already uses IPv6 in
the mote to mote communication. Motes will hit
um scale pretty soon, and due to limited resources
they will have to start using IPv6 mutual address
derivation from local communication constraints,
which puts IPv6 addresses upon ever-shrinking
parcels of space. And space is pretty big, especially
if you think IPv6 will be used in Earth orbit very
soon, and beyond.

> won't get very far, but for the moment, we still
> theoretically have about 13'000 IP addresses available
> for each kilogram of matter on Earth.

Apart from that this is completely irrelevant due
to above issues, I would like to point out that we will see
micron-sized devices with IPv6 addresses in
our lifetime, including very large scale networks
around the Earth, the Moon, and later elsewhere
in the solar system.

> Until we create matter out of nothing, I still
> think we're on the safe side. I don't doubt

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what early
ARPAnet people said when they said 32 bit is going
to be enough for everybody. I mean, how can
computers be owned by individual people, never
mind *multiple* computers?

> you disagree, and I'm ok with it :-)

It's too bad I can't see you eating your hat 35 years
hence :)

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org