Re: Re: Re: Re: [vserver] Centos kernel

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 08 Nov 2010 - 22:21:08 GMT

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 06:19:18PM +0100, Roman Pretory wrote:
> Sorry to late have the new board and a full new setup,
> but the .config was from

> http://rpm.hozac.com/dhozac/centos/5/vserver/x86_64/kernel-devel-2.6.22.19-v
> s2.3.0.34.1.x86_64.rpm

> quite all default on make oldconfig

well, I wouldn't expect a 2.6.22 .config to work without
modification for a 2.6.36 kernel, because kernel options
change with every release, but it might also be a problem
with your mkinitrd not putting the proper drivers into
the initramfs

> only Nic's and sata amd/nvidia changes to y/m

> I have read that the Kernel 2.6.36 have troubles with AMD Chipset,
> and as I have get the new board the 2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1.x86_64,
> was booting and the 2.6.36 not.

> And I have the same opinion the sata driver is lost,
> because last time a have the same, forgot to compile the sata
> driver for the P5b-VM, but this was simple to find and set it
> to y/m. and ..

> Sorry more a don't have anymore

> If anyone have a .config for Centos5.5/ 2.6.36 I would be happy!

the kernel config should be tailored to your hardware
and software requirements, but I keep saying that over
and over and folks still build kernels with the kitchen
sink included ...

> The new Kernel on rpm.hozac.com dosn't work,
> there are troubles with: Missing Dependency: mkinitrd-dhz

did you install the mkinitrd package provided?

looks to me like you want to grab and install that as
well to get the kernel up and running ...