Re: [vserver] A patch for Slackware

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 26 Oct 2010 - 11:01:31 BST

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 09:07:41PM +0200, Roberto wrote:

> Hi everyone, I released a patch and a short howto for Slackware:
> http://notes.sagredo.eu/node/7

I presume comments are welcome?

if so:

try to get the nomenclature in sync with Linux-VServer,
otherwise you'll confuse the hell out of everyone ..

 - we call the physical machine 'host'
   (so don't use host for the virtual entities)

 - as we use isolation, there is no 'machine' which
   gets virtualized, and thus, there is no VM :)

 - the virtual entities are called 'guests' in our
   nomenclature, so it would be appropriate to use
   that as well (consistantly :)

We also repeatedly had the problem that links and
references to 'other' sites got stale and the infor-
mation was ultimately lost, so IMHO it would make
sense to put (at least a 'copy') it on the Linux-
VServer wiki ...

> I hope it will be useful.

I'm sure it will help folks to get a slackware guest
installed, but in the long term, it would be a lot
better to use the already available util-vserver
functionality to do the necessary changes to the
guest

check out /usr/lib*/util-vserver/distributions from
the util-vserver-build package, which already contains
post install/setup scripts for many distros

thanks for the contribution,
Herbert