Re: [vserver] Static Route on Loopback

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan_at_bobich.net>
Date: Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 08:22:04 BST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 05:24:54PM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:

>>> what's the point puting it on dummy, why not put it on
>>> the actual interface it will be using anyway, e.g. eth0
>>> (or whatever your traffic uses)?
>
>> It won't be using an external interface.
>
> It won't be using dummy0 either
>
>> This is for a guests-only internal interface.
>
> there is no such thing in Linux-VServer

I know it's not using dummy0 per se, and it all ends up going over
host's lo, but unlike with using lo on it's own, the routing on the
private-only subnet works properly. If I set up additional IPs on lo
with a /32 netmask, the IP seen by the other guests is that of the
guest's real IP address, which is what I didn't want. Because on
loopback I have to set the netmask of /32, the outgoing packets don't
end up coming from that /32 address since the target IP isn't on that
network.

Gordan