Re: [vserver] incorrect filesystem usage in guest...

From: Guenther Fuchs <vserver_at_muh.at>
Date: Tue 14 Sep 2010 - 23:29:54 BST

Hi there,

at Tue, April 14th 2009 at 15:17 Jarry wrote:

J> Quite a big difference. Again, I think "df" in guest does not
J> deliver proper results, but I do not know why...

It _does_ - depending on how you look at it. It delivers the results
of the _filestem_ (in total, which may include files of other guests
as well). It does _not_ deliver information of guest usage.

If you consider it from that point of view, it may make more sense to
you. This is, why df and du results may vary in a big number.

e.g.:
/ one root filesys for all files incl. guests
/vserver/guest[1-2]/ guests, located on the same filesys

du will output actual usage of files
df will output actual usage of the host (!) filesys, even if used
   inside a guest.

If you want to have df showing _only_ the fuest usage, you need to
split the filesys and mount the guest filesys seperately for each
guest (or use some other way, which I don't know).

Helpful in all cases is as well posting of vserver and util-vserver
versions, maybe ther's meanwhile in newer releases something changend.

--
Greetings,
Guenther Fuchs