Re: [vserver] Virtual Host-Only Networking (tap?)

From: Jeff Jansen <jeff.jansen_at_kkoncepts.net>
Date: Sat 11 Sep 2010 - 01:28:41 BST

Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net> wrote on 2010-Sep-11:
> I'm trying to set up a host-only network/VLAN that is only available to
> the host and guests, wthout access further than that via the host. What
> I'm thinking about is setting up a tap device on the host, and giving
> each of the guests access to that interface.
>
> I couldn't find any documentation on this. Would it work? Is there a
> better way?

We use the 'dummy' interface for this. 'modprobe dummy' and now you've
got 'dummy0' as an interface on the host. (You can also have dummy1,
dummy2, etc. by running 'modprobe numdummies=X' where 'X' is the number
of dummy interfaces you want.)

You can treat this just like any other interface on the host and assign
a different IP address to each guest and you have a truly host-only
networking device.

HTH

Jeff Jansen