Re: [vserver] Developer recommendations.

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_cyber-office.net>
Date: Thu 08 Jul 2010 - 23:14:15 BST

On 07/08/2010 02:06 PM, Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>>> It's not really that hard, just time-consuming to do for every single
>>> release. That is why I gave up and created a vanilla kernel instead.
>>
>> Is that how you created those on your repo? I got lazy and just did an
>> update of util-vserver*. The kernel I'm runnning (from your RPM) is
>> 2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1 (March 2008.)
>
> Yes. It's a vanilla kernel with the vserver patch.
>
>> I see a 2.6.27.39-7.vs2.3.0.36.7.9 (November 2009) in the repo but yum
>> doesn't see/recognize/use it. Can you clue-stick me? Should even be
>> trying to it?
>
> I disabled this after identifying some issues with it. I haven't had
> time to fix them all, though I should restart with 2.6.32 or 33 soonish.
> Most of the issues are not in the kernel itself, but with everything
> around it. mkinitrd sometimes needs to know about new module names, and
> sometimes module-init-tools needs an update. However, when I get some
> round 'tuits, that is on the list of things to tackle...

Thanks. I was thinking it was not-ready-for-prime-time. :-)

I had succeeded in build a vanilla kernel with the LV patch but wasn't
sure that was the correct thing to do. Beside, kernel-wise, I was
up-to-date. It was the utils I was behind on.

I am in the process of building a yum repo mirror for CentOS and will
expand it to include Linux-Vserver soon-ish. I too suffer from a
shortage of TUITs (type: round.)

Rod